Re: Release 4.4.0 and statistics package

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Release 4.4.0 and statistics package
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 11:04:59 +0100

Le 08/01/2018 à 09:39, Daniel J Sebald a écrit :
On 01/08/2018 01:55 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
Le 08/01/2018 à 02:24, Rik a écrit :
Many thanks for that work.  I removed most of the functions from the core in this cset (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fdc9ce839afd).
Most of the work was actually re-writing the Statistics chapter of the
manual to make sense again.

What about functions such as mean, median, mode, std, var ?

In Matlab they belong to "Matlab core", not to the Statistic& & ML toolbox:

https://fr.mathworks.com/help/matlab/data_analysis/descriptive-statistics.html,

which means that now, some programs that run on Matlab without any dependency will not run on Octave unless the statistics package is loaded...

Just my two cents, sorry if this has been discussed before...

I also didn't quite understand that statistics function discussion.  It sounded like any stats-related functions would be moved to the statistics package.  But I've pulled the latest code and it looks like the routines such as var.m, corr.m, etc. have simply been moved to ./scripts/statistics/ directory.  I think the title of the changeset is a bit misleading in that it suggests all routines were removed when it was only the non-common ones that were removed; "(re)move" might have suggested it wasn't that simple.

Ok, my bad.  I misunderstood Rik's commit message.

Yes, these functions were moved from ./scripts/statistics/base to ./scripts/statistics, so they're still in Octave cor, everythng is fine.

Sorry for the noise.