Octave 4.2.1 ambiguity with `clean_up_and_exit()`?

From: siko1056
Subject: Octave 4.2.1 ambiguity with `clean_up_and_exit()`?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 05:05:49 -0700 (MST)

jwe,

While looking for a solution for bug #52650 [1] I noticed, that the function
`clean_up_and_exit()` in the standalone demo function [2] is mapped to
`liboctave/cruft/misc/quit.cc` [3].  I stepped with a debugger into it and
especially the output is suspicious:

    GCD of [10, 15] is 5
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'octave::exit_exception'
    Aborted (core dumped)

The implementation [3] looks like an emergency break with the `throw`
statement,
rather than a gentle exit function.  On the other hand, there is an
implementation `octave::interpreter::clean_up_and_exit() in
`libinterp/corefcn/interpreter.cc` [4] that seems to be unused in the
presence
of [3], even within `interpreter.cc`.

This last aspect seems very critical to me.  So did I miss something or is
there an ambiguity on the stable branch?  The good news is, the default
branch
seems not effected, you made a great effort in the refactoring there.  The
bad news is, that the segmentation fault does not vanish by a simple
`return 0;`.

A similar problem I recently noticed on the mailing-list [5].  Thus what is
the suggested method to stop the Octave interpreter in 4.2.*?  Otherwise,
our
users will have to wait until 4.4.* to get the situation fixed for
standalone
builds.

Regards,
Kai