Re: Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Want to work on Chebfun in Octave as my Gsoc-18 project
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 21:39:20 -0800

On 2018-01-19 09:27 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:

The project description [1] actually gives a pretty good sense of what is involved and how to get started. You can also look at the general tips for GsoC applicants [2].

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Chebfun_in_Octave

Great news! With a few changes and some hacks/workarounds, I've got some basic things working:

f = chebfun(@(x) sin(x), [-2, 6])
f = chebfun('sin(x)', [-5, 5])
f(pi)
g = f + 1

In particular, the "chebfunpref" problems I had last time I looked at this are resolved! Likely by jwe's changes to persistent variables and subfunction scope if I had to guess.

Anyway, I've updated the wiki above with a link [3] to my changes, so those would be a good place to start. I've downgraded the project from "hard" to "medium" because now at least one can start without touching Octave internals at all.

[3] https://github.com/cbm755/chebfun/tree/octave_dev

best,
Colin