Re: Switching from default to stable branch

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Switching from default to stable branch
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 09:52:32 -0800

On 01/27/2018 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
Problem in updating to stable branch from default branch
From:
Sahil <address@hidden>
Date:
01/27/2018 06:05 AM
To:
address@hidden
7bit
Message:
1

Hello all

I am having problem when i try to update my working directory from default
branch to stable branch.
I get the following error when i try to do the same:

~/D/o/octave $ hg identify
e04a56630c8a tip @
~/D/o/octave $ hg identify -b
default
~/D/o/octave $ hg up stable
build-aux/move-if-change: untracked file differs
abort: untracked files in working directory differ from files in requested
revision

The file 'build-aux/move-if-change' is untracked, still it shows the error.
I don't get the whole point of getting the error if the file is untracked.
If i do 'hg up stable --clean', it does updates to stable but deletes many
files and unfortunately I am unable to build the source (showed some error
during the config.status stage in 'make' ).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Sahil

I have encountered this from time to time as well.  Just remove the untracked file and try the update again.  In other words,

rm build-aux/move-if-change
hg update stable

Also, disk space is pretty cheap these days.  I simply maintain a source directory for stable and another directory for the development branch.  I find it easier than using a single directory and updating back and forth between the two.  Particularly because the timestamps all change when you switch the directory which leads to a great deal of unnecessary building of .o files which can be avoided with the two-directory approach.

--Rik