Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 16:01:00 +0000

On 31 January 2018 at 15:26, Andrew Engelbrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 01/31/2018 09:51 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> Octave is applying to GSoC as an independent organization too.  So
>> yes, there are mentors available but at this moment there are also a
>> lot of applicants.
>>
>> There are a few pages on the Octave wiki about GSoC too, namely Summer
>> of Code Projects Ideas [1] which includes steps on how to apply.  We
>> don't really have mentors full-time, but the community is very active
>> and if you make questions on IRC or the mailing lists, you're likely
>> to get a reply.
>
> Hello Carnë,
>
> Thanks for your reply. If Darshan is sufficiently self-directed in his
> approach to the internship, would it be okay for him to pick one of the
> GSoC (or one of the other) projects and work on it this spring?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Yes.  Other interested students have been mentioning interest on
projects on the mailing list.  All work should be public.

However, at this stage, it might be more productive to pick smaller
"jobs" instead of working on those larger GSoC projects.  There are a
lot of missing functions or features missing in Octave, each requiring
a few days work.  Those cover very different areas of interest and can
be reviewed independently from one another.

I would imagine that multiple of those cases would provide newcomers
with a better view of the Octave codebase and problems, saves the
student from picking a long project that may turn to be less exciting
than he hoped for, and provide the student with a better showcase of
his capabilities when it comes to apply for GSoC later.

Carnë