Re: renaming some classes and using the octave namespace in the GUI

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: renaming some classes and using the octave namespace in the GUI
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 15:08:40 -0600

On 02/08/2018 02:15 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 02/08/2018 02:24 PM, Torsten wrote:

The object names are directly used in octave_dock_widget for saving the
widgets geometries. If we change names, special care has to be taken in
order to guarantee compatibility to existing setting files.

OK, I see. So maybe I'll leave those as is. But I would like to understand exactly how this works so I could know what needs to be done to change one of these names. For example, I made the attached change and it wasn't enough to preserve the defaults. See attached before and after screenshots. In both cases, I removed my ~/.config/octave/qt-settings file before starting Octave.

Here's an example of how settings are used:

// make the widget floating
void
octave_dock_widget::make_window (void)
{
  // the widget has to be reparented (parent = 0)

  QSettings *settings = resource_manager::get_settings ();

  // save the docking area and geometry for later redocking
  // FIXME: dockWidgetArea always returns 2
  settings->setValue ("DockWidgets/" + objectName () + "_dock_area",
                      m_parent->dockWidgetArea (this));
  settings->setValue ("DockWidgets/" + objectName (), saveGeometry ());
  settings->sync ();

Perhaps there are multiple things that need to be change in the settings file regarding geometry, etc.

Looking at your screenshots, it reminds me about the titles of the windows. I sort of feel that "Window" of "Command Window" is extraneous and takes up space where "Command" might be sufficient. I can see why someone wrote "Command Window" though, because we always say "command line" or "command window" when speaking. Also, there is "Editor" and "Variable Editor"; perhaps now the former should be "File Editor".

Dan