Re: 4.2.2 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 4.2.2 release
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 15:40:40 -0500

On 02/15/2018 12:52 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 02/15/2018 10:37 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
I'd like to make the 4.2.2 release now.

One of the most visible issues it should fix is the crash on exit.  My build of the current stable sources does appear to work properly and teh crash no longer happens.  Does anyone else still experience the crash?

Thanks,

Not related to the exit crash, here's another one to consider before release:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53137

I can't say this is a problem, and I can't point to any manifestation of the color table being accessed prematurely.  However, in doing development here, every once in a while I'll have a crash at launch. Knowing how difficult it is to debug rare-occurrence segfaults, I wonder if it is easier to just fix the above code and see if the launch crash goes away for me.  If this were an issue, it'd be of the sort where there is a race between the system setting up the color tables and the GUI accessing them at launch.

The variable editor doesn't exist on the stable branch, so it won't be part of 4.2.2.

I pushed the patch to default.