Re: thread model for mxe-octave build

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: thread model for mxe-octave build
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:57:04 -0600

On 02/22/2018 10:43 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
I had someone ask why C++11 threads (mutext, condition_variable_any) wasn't working with .oct files built with Octave 4.2.1. After a little searching, I found that we are configuring GCC with --enable-threads=win32 instead of --enable-threads=posix. Apparently the latter is required to enable C++11 thread features. Is there any reason to not use --enable-threads=posix by default in our builds? I tried building native-gcc with this option and it allowed my test program to compile but I don't know whether there might be other problems. From what I hve read, it seems that even if GCC is built with this option you can still use Windows threading features directly. I've seen some mention of performance issues "in some situations" but no explanation of what that might be.

What platforms are you referring to? Windows build? Linux build? All? On Linux I'm seeing --enable-threads=posix after configuration. After bootstrap, the ./configure script indicates

gl_fnmatch_required=POSIX
gl_getopt_required=POSIX

Maybe that has an influence.

Dan