Re: Doubs in Gsoc chebfun project: getting error while running g=f+1, ne

From: Saurav Malani
Subject: Re: Doubs in Gsoc chebfun project: getting error while running g=f+1, needed tips to resolve it.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:57:02 +0530 (IST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Macdonald" <address@hidden>
To: "Saurav Malani" <address@hidden>, "Octave Maintainers List" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 11:23:36 PM
Subject: Re: Doubs in Gsoc chebfun project: getting error while running g=f+1,
needed tips to resolve it.

On 2018-03-12 05:18 AM, Saurav Malani wrote:
> So, I was looking at the @chebfun/disp.m function, and I think that "disp"
> function will throw error in case of complex number. As in case of complex
> number sprintf calls f.domain(f) (line-89). So, we need to declare "temp"
> outside if and else condition of that for loop (i.e. around line 82, may be
> somewhere around ffuns).
>     Although, as you said that this is a temporary work around, and we need
> to find a permanent fix for this. But I failed to find any such permanent
> fix, maybe because of the implementation of OOPs in Octave. Is is because of
> static methods?
>     Now, I am working on subsref.m, although I tied few things, but all
> failed, maybe because of lack of insights. But, I am still hopeful that with
> few tweaks I will fix it.
>     But, now as we are left with only 2 weeks (of gsoc proposal submission
> deadline), so can you suggest the permanent fix for it? You mentioned little
> bit about this in the Aim column of the chebfun project of the project list,
> but I didn't understand it properly. so, it will be a great help if you can
> explain what do I need to do to fix it permanetly in detail, as this is one
> of the AIM of the project.

1.  Have you tested with development branch of octave?  Does the disp
work there?

-> Yes, I did, as you mentioned, that I should work with development version.

2.  Under "first steps" on the wiki, making "2*f" work is suggested.
Perhaps that is a good first step?

-> Yes, I am working on it. But as only 2 weeks are left for the deadline of
project proposal, so for now I am focusing more on preparation of proposals.
So, can you please help me with this by answering questions related to proposal
in the previous mail.

Thanks,
Regards,
Saurav Malani