Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:56:45 -0700

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 22:42:06 +0100, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid and the ./configure
> detects that QScintilla library is not found. I think it looks for
> libqscintilla2.so, but Debian Sid repos contain libqscintilla-qt4-dev
> and libqscintilla-qt5-dev, which provide the libraries
> libqscintilla2_qt4.so and libqscintilla2_qt5.so. There is also a
> package called libqscintilla2-12v5, but there is not the correspondent
> -dev package with the headers. So I think octave 4.2.2 can't be
> installed in Debian Sid using only the repositories packages. Am I
> right?

It can be built by overriding the name of the Qscintilla2 library.

The Debian source package does this by patching the configure script,
see

https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/patches/qscintilla-rename.patch

I have also done this locally by passing the variable
octave_cv_lib_qscintilla to configure, as in

    ../configure --with-blas=blas octave_cv_lib_qscintilla=-lqscintilla2_qt5

which is how I am building 4.2.2 at this moment.

HTH,

--
mike