Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 01:09:51 +0100

There is a nuance that was not yet mentioned here and that is still unresolved.

There are functions in statistics (and other potential pkgs for core)
that are not in matlab and are very domain specific.
Will this be included in core as well? During the discussions it
seemed to me that the implicit answer is NO. This means that there
will be two statistics (or other) packages.
The one that goes to core, which the user will be aware of only when
they does pkg load statistics.
The other one that keeps all the "extended functionality" which the
user will need to be more aware of because they needs to download,
install, and load it.

How do we solve name clashing? Do we rename packages, like
statistics_extra or whatever? Do we some tricks with the paths?

I guess answers to these questions will start emerging while doing,
but it is worth having them in mind.