Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:12:46 +0100

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 02:56:45PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 22:42:06 +0100, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile Octave 4.2.2 in Debian Sid and the ./configure
> > detects that QScintilla library is not found. I think it looks for
> > libqscintilla2.so, but Debian Sid repos contain libqscintilla-qt4-dev
> > and libqscintilla-qt5-dev, which provide the libraries
> > libqscintilla2_qt4.so and libqscintilla2_qt5.so. There is also a
> > package called libqscintilla2-12v5, but there is not the correspondent
> > -dev package with the headers. So I think octave 4.2.2 can't be
> > installed in Debian Sid using only the repositories packages. Am I
> > right?
>
> It can be built by overriding the name of the Qscintilla2 library.
>
> The Debian source package does this by patching the configure script,
> see
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/octave/blob/master/debian/patches/qscintilla-rename.patch

This patch was needed for Octave 4.2.1, but this is no longer the case for
4.2.2, which is able to correctly detect libqscintilla2_qt5 (verified on Debian
Sid).

José: the full list of build dependencies of the official Octave package in
Debian Sid can be found on this page:

 https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/octave

Are you sure you have installed all the Qt packages listed there?

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer