Re: Variable editor status

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Variable editor status
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 20:18:27 -0500

On 03/21/2018 04:29 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
Hi all,

Is the variable editor supposed to open as a blank panel by default now?

It shows up as a blank panel with all of its buttons greyed out. Only
when I use `openvar` or click on a variable in the workspace table does
it show something.

I don't remember the behavior the last time I tried it (weeks or maybe
months ago), but my first impression when I saw the blank panel is that
it's broken. Another user testing it for the first time had the same
first impression.

Propose some initial state (and size...that may be the main issue because it seems to shrink down to nothing in the automatic layout, probably needs a min-size specification). I think with the tabified design it was a blank window but had an empty tab frame. We can't recall the state of variables when Octave last exited.

Here's a somewhat related issue:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53357

Note that if one closes every window in the GUI, that too looks like something is broken. (I don't mind it.) Also note that the Editor checkmark in Window drop-down menu is still present when it shouldn't be. However the Variable Editor looks empty is probably similar to what the GUI should look like empty.

Dan