Re: maintaining some packages at core Octave (was: Re: OctConf 2018, se

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: maintaining some packages at core Octave (was: Re: OctConf 2018, second day -- a lot of discussions and some work done)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 15:49:59 +0100

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:04:57AM +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 09:23:19AM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> > - Within a package:
> >
> > -- we select functions which should get more attention as 'core
> >    package functions'; to mark these, only these will be in inst/ and
> >    src/ .
> >
> > -- all other functions go under inst-extra/ and src-extra/ and are
> >    pulled in by src/Makefile, so they are still available.

To be clear: this partitioning was only proposed for packages
(proposed to be) marked as 'core'.

> I only have a comment regarding the scheme. In OF I would try to
> keep the process of building package as simple as possible, if we
> still want to offer a place for a community which might not be
> composed only of developers that enjoy reading and handling
> complicated Makefiles.  It seems to me that scheme will indeed
> increase the complexity of the Makefiles.

Would you have you preferences for an alternative, regarding what
should be done with existing 'extra' functions in a 'core' package?
Just deleting them?  Putting them into an extra package (you seem to
have suggested this in a previous mail)? Not distinguishing them from
'core' functions?

Olaf