Re: Status of Octave in Windows 10

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Status of Octave in Windows 10
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:48:20 -0400

On 07/27/2018 09:36 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

That said, if someone can point me to the relevant Octave or Posix modules I will attempt to research what windows changes caused the issue to crop up.

Everything in Octave that works with the the Windows Console is in this file:

  libgui/qterminal/libqterminal/win32/QWinTerminalImpl.cpp

It seems to me that scrolling works properly because I can move the scroll bar and the contents of the window changes. But as soon as that happens, something causes another callback function to be executed that resets the window position and updates the scrollbar again, back to the bottom.

This page

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/scrolling-the-screen-buffer

says

  When the SetConsoleCursorPosition function specifies a
  new cursor position that is outside the boundaries of
  the current window rectangle, the window rectangle
  shifts automatically to display the cursor.

We don't call SetConsoleCursorPosition directly, but when we scroll up, the cursor remains at the bottom of the screen buffer, now out of the visible window. Then maybe something similar is causing the buffer position to shift? Then we notice and update the Qt view of this info.

Simply tracing the functions that are called and the positions of the screen buffer might be helpful.

It would be helpful to have a list of changes or bug fixes in the Console. But I don't know where to find previous versions of the Console docs and I don't see a list of changes or bug fixes going from the old Console to the new one.