Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: hg repo corruption: ".hgsubstate is corrupt in revision ..."
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:45:01 -0700

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 15:23:11 -0400, Andrew Janke wrote:
> I'm having a bit of trouble with the GNU Octave Hg repo. I'm unable to push
> copies of it to my private Bitbucket account.
>
> When examining a freshly cloned repo with "hg verify", it reports corruption
> in the .hgsubstate file. This is consistent - each time I re-clone the repo,
> it still shows up as corrupt.
>
> Have any of you encountered this?

This looks like it has to do with the gnulib subrepo, which has changed
a few times over the hg history. I see the same errors with 'hg verify'.

You haven't shown the 'hg push' error, but it probably also has to do
with the subrepo. You might try using the subpaths rewrite configuration
to work around this. I used to have the following in my ~/.hgrc, before
we changed gnulib to an absolute URL.

    [subpaths]
    .*/gnulib-hg = http://www.octave.org/hg/octave/gnulib-hg

I would try the following configuration today, to override the
historical URLs of both 'gnulib' and 'gnulib-hg':

    [subpaths]
    .*/gnulib = http://hg.octave.org/gnulib
    .*/gnulib-hg = http://hg.octave.org/gnulib

--