Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 155, Issue 1

From: John Donoghue
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 155, Issue 1
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 06:22:48 -0500

On 2/1/19 2:50 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 16:16:31 -0500
From: Nicholas Jankowski<address@hidden>
To: octave-maintainers<address@hidden>
Subject: windows install for upcoming release

looking at the wiki for Windows installation instructions [1], looking for
a few clarifications as things have changed a bit over time. Please correct
me if any of the following is incorrect:

1 - There is a note that starting with Octave 4.4.0 users must add
--force-gui to any manual Windows shortcuts or the CLI will start by
default.  I do not have that flag in my shortcuts, and the GUI starts by
just calling 'octave.vbs'.  It seems this behavior has been changed and the
instruction can be removed?

gui starts by default now, so you want to create cmdline octave shortcut, you would need the --no-gui option, otherwise no additional options are required.

2 - there is no more 'octave.bat' file, only octave.vbs. assuming this to
be correct, reference the .bat can be removed for starting octave.
There is a bat file, how was moved to bin directory
3 - After using the executable installer, there's nothing else for the user
to do except use the shortcuts created for him/her, correct? (Looking for
confirmation, I only even use the zip archives...)
Correct
4 - for the zip/7z archives:  after unzipping, there are 6 different
executable files in the octave root directory.

cmdshell.bat
fc_update.bat
msys2_shell.cmd
octave.vbs
octave-firsttime.vbs
post-install.bat

while the general shortcut should be made to octave.vbs,  which of those
files, and in what order, should the user run them? I know fc_update.bat
was recommended, but I don't know what firsttime and post-install are
intended to do.

post-install is what is run from the installer after installation, so probally should be what is run at after unzipping. It registers the msys2 environment, calls the fc_cache, and does the pkg rebuild

octave-firsttime.vbs is called from the installer when run octave checkbox is
checked - its only needed in the installer, as it needs to run octave as the
unelevated user.

cmdshell.bat will display a bash shell window

[1]https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows#Packages