om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] autoconnecting

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] autoconnecting
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:07:35 +1000

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 14:03 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > LASH is the solution to this problem, but it's not quite here yet. :/
> > I'm on it...
>
> Could you then please elaborate on how lash/qjackctl can/should solve
> the scenario I mentioned to Esben: Previewing a bunch of om patches and
> hating to have to click-connect midi and audio on every load...

Create a top-level "master" patch with Jack inputs and outputs all wired
up and load patches as a subpatch of that.

No, Om doesn't have any sort of "patch preview" (or node replacing, or
whatever) kind of functionality, and /maybe/ it should..

But: it's not an issue of connecting Jack ports.  That's not Om's
problem, period.  If it was Om's problem, it would be every single other
GNU/Linux audio app's problem as well, and that's just bad design
(duplication of effort).

As for the patch previewing idea.. doubtful you'll see that soon,
frankly.  That's immensely more complicated than you think.

For starters:  connect what to what?  the audio ports?  which audio
ports?  in which order?

I do need to make patch loading much more reliable, lightweight, and
faster though.  If that happens, maybe then this idea can get looked at.

-DR-