om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Always On Top

From: Esben Stien
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Always On Top
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:30:37 +0100

Dave Robillard <address@hidden> writes:

> This thread is about node control windows, that discussion was about
> the add plugin dialog.

I would treat them the same. The way it is now with node control
windows (the window that pops up when you click on a module), is
great, except I would rather have it remember its position, instead of
centering on parent.

I'm not dictating anything, but it's just the expected behavior as I
see it. It's the way gimp works and I think it's really great.

In the case of the add plugin dialog, it comes up when I select the
patch window, because it is a transient, as I understand it.

In the current implementation of om, I see no where a need to use the
transient hint, except the about window.

This might just be because we differ in opinion.

Quote from Havoc Pennington:

"A transient dialog is one that appears and is dismissed relatively
quickly. (GnomeDialog? is really meant for transient dialogs.) Some
"dialogs" are just small windows, such as the tool palette in the
Gimp. These persistent ("floating") dialogs should be minimizable
without minimizing the parent, and they should not be forced to stay
above the parent window"

You indicated that your usage scenario was to launch the add plugin
dialog, add some plugins and then close it while my scenario was to
always keep open the add plugin dialog.

It would be more clear once drag and drop is in effect maybe, but I
still feel this should be the current behavior, even without dnd.

Do we agree to disagree or is there something I misunderstand?.

--
Esben Stien is address@hidden     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m