om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] splitting audio signals

From: Benjamin Flaming
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] splitting audio signals
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 13:32:33 -0600

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 3:28 pm, Lars Luthman wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 15:57 +0100, at0m|c wrote:
> > For splitting audio into frequency bands, you may want to try applying
> > a single filter, inverting the filtered signal and mixing it back with
> > the original.  Now the output of the filter and the output of that mix
> > are 2 complementary parts, adding up to the original stream again.  You
> > can re-apply this technique to achieve multiple frequency bands...
>
> Wouldn't that work only if the filter has a flat phase response?

It might be more effective with such a filter (I don't know/remember enough
DSP theory), but I can attest from first-hand experience that this does, in
fact, work quite well with with non-linear phase filters.  I successfully
employed this technique many years ago to build a usable 5-band compressor
out of the severely-crippled "Digi-Rack" plug-ins that ship with Pro Tools.