openexr-announce

[Openexr-announce] linux birds-of-a-feather at Siggraph

From: Greg Brandeau
Subject: [Openexr-announce] linux birds-of-a-feather at Siggraph
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:03:40 -0700

Pixar invites you to a linux birds-of-a-feather meeting at Siggraph from
3-5 PM on Monday, August 9th, in Room 507 of the LA convention center.

Here are some of the production-centric linux issues we plan to discuss
at this meeting:

1)  The most important thing for us operationally is that our
applications run simultaneously on a single computer
2)  Having the perfect OS would be nice, but having a supported OS is
far more important
3)  Building our own distribution/variant of linux and asking vendors to
certify on it doesn't make sense
4) If there was an agreed upon linux, each studio can do what they want internally, but they will have a reference to know how far they have strayed
5)  If there was an agreed upon linux, studios might pitch in money for
third parties that develop studio-important parts of linux, and make
them open source (nfs performance for example)

Although all of us may not end up going down the identical linux path, it is probably useful for each of the studios to hear what everyone else is doing. Hopefully, this will ensure that we don't all end up on our own private islands with no vendors available to make all of the necessary variants of the cargo boats.

The list of vendors that have been invited includes (not in any order!):
Pixar, Alias, Side Effects, Apple, IBM, HP, Dell, Sun, Verari, Rackable,
Red Hat, Novell, Nvidia.  We would be happy to invite anyone else you
would like.

Please RSVP to Heidi Parmelee (address@hidden).

I hope to see you at the meeting!

Regards,