Re: [Openexr-devel] Query: Image Based Lighting and HDRI-enabled cameras

From: James H. Cloos Jr.
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Query: Image Based Lighting and HDRI-enabled cameras
Date: 01 Aug 2003 08:28:17 -0400

>>>>> "Anders" == Anders Dahnielson <address@hidden> writes:

Anders> There are 12-bit per component HD cameras....

Anders>  [1] http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/cameras/viper

Cool.

Anders> When someone speak about 10-bit one will always assume
Anders> that the image data is in log space.

I thought about mentioning log space sampling.  I'd forgotten that
the 10 bit formats used for recording to film are log.  That does
of course make a significant difference, although as you wrote it
requires a linear ADC and conversion.  If one is recording raw one
should just take what the imager offers and worry about converting
that into something more permanent offline, rather than in real-
time.  It has to cost less to use a gen-purp box than to engineer
such stuff into the embedded system on the camera....

Anders> The DALSA Digital Cinematography[2] camera record 14-bit
Anders> in 4x2k resolution.

Anders>  [2] http://www.dalsa.com

Ever more cool.  Up to 48 fps at 4046x2048 x14bit is huge.
Interstingly, it looks to be about ~34.5mm x ~17.5mm,
based on their flash comparison at:

http://www.dalsa.com/shared/content/mmedia/filmstrip%20draft6.swf

So it is wider than 35mm film's framesize.  Perhaps the edges
provide same dark pixels to help measure the noise floor?  Or
do the MP cameras & lenses cast light on the filmstrip's
sprocket holes?

NB that they do offer raw images at 16 bit/pixel linear bayer
pattern at a whopping 3216 Mbit/s over 4 fibre infiniband
pipes.  I think I'd prefer 4 gigabit ethernet pipes myself.

Also, if the interpolation is done in the camera, that jumps
to 9648 Mbit/s and requires (lossless) compression to fit in
4 infiniband pipes.

Anders> I'm myself involved in a project building something
Anders> of a "mini-DALSA" recording images in 2k resolution
Anders> and RGB 4:4:4 directly over FireWire.

I'll be looking forward to see how that comes out.

-JimC