[Openexr-devel] new release coming soon

From: Drew Hess
Subject: [Openexr-devel] new release coming soon
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:24:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that a new source release is coming soon, in
the next day or two.  The version number will be 1.0.6, and it'll include
support for thumbnail images, automatic frame buffer type conversion when
reading OpenEXR images, and some bug fixes.

This new release will compile with Microsoft's C++ compiler from Visual
Studio .NET 2003, so it won't be necessary to use the Intel compiler for
Windows anymore (though that compiler will certainly still work).

When using the VS.NET 2003 compiler, there is a bug in one of the Imath
confidence tests that affects code in the ImathEuler.h header file.
Neither Florian nor I has had much time to investigate it, but a brief
look at the code revealed nothing obvious.  The confidence does pass on
all other platforms we've tried (incl. Intel's C++ compiler on Windows),
so it appears to be isolated to VS.NET 2003.

We'll look into it when we have a chance, but this doesn't affect OpenEXR
per se, because the IlmImf library doesn't use these functions.
Therefore, we're going to do the release and mark this as a bug.  If
you're using these functions from Imath in Windows, you should continue to
use the Intel C++ compiler until we've fixed it (or somebody else figures
it out ;)

The next step for OpenEXR development is to standardize on some
colorimetry and image capture attributes.  A few of you have already
expressed interest in that, and if any others have contributions to make,
please speak up on the list.

After that we'll be rolling in support for tiling, which is currently in
development.  More on that in the coming months.

-dwh-