[Openexr-devel] gcc 3.3 is golden

From: Greg Ward
Subject: [Openexr-devel] gcc 3.3 is golden
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:36:51 -0700

I just downloaded the gcc 3.3 compiler from the Apple Developer website, and it seems to have licked all the problems I was seeing. I hadn't done this earlier because I'd been so bitten by the buggy optimizer in gcc 3.2 screwing my own code, that I was waiting to see what I read about 3.3. Well, it seems to do the trick. I recompiled OpenEXR 1.0.6 under OS X and it passed all its checks with flying colors -- including the notorious problem it was having with the C++ stream library in IlmImf. I didn't even need to use --enable-osx-istream-hack on configure, which was a blessing.

I did see some suspicious warnings from the compiler that I hadn't seen before, though. Here is a sample:

ImfRgbaFile.cpp: In member function `void Imf::RgbaOutputFile::setFrameBuffer(const Imf::Rgba*, long unsigned int, long unsigned int)': ImfRgbaFile.cpp:186: warning: invalid access to non-static data member `Imf::Rgba::r' of NULL object ImfRgbaFile.cpp:186: warning: (perhaps the `offsetof' macro was used incorrectly)

Since the 3.3 compiler is freely available from Apple and it seems to be much more reliable than 3.2 (and even 3.1), we should recommend that as a solution to OS X developers.

-Greg