[Openexr-devel] Memory usage in Imf libraries

From: John Cooper
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Memory usage in Imf libraries
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:36:10 -0700

Hello,

I have been using the 1.0.6 library for a while now and am curious about its memory usage. From what I can tell, one must allocate an entire image buffer for any particular channel in order for OutputFile::writePixels() to do its thing. A quick back-of-the-napkin calculation suggests that if one is writing, say, 10 channels of HALF data for a 2k frame, we're talking 60MB of RAM consumed. Why can't the data be written row by row instead of an entire image buffer at once? There is such a thing as fseek() after all. Could this at least be implemented as an optional writing method? I realize that it would take longer to write to disk, but sometimes its worth it to save on the RAM footprint required during rendering.

Cheers,
- John