Re: [Openexr-devel] Getting the win32 project to work with visual studio

From: Moritz Moeller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Getting the win32 project to work with visual studio .net
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:08:05 +0100

I just wanted to share a little thing regarding Visual Studio-dependent Windows builds in general here. I'm part of the developers that work on the open-source Maya->RenderMan bridge called 'Liquid'. Liquid is a software that comes from the IRIX/Linux platform originally.

I just recently added a makefile for Windows as I had repeatedly trouble with Visual Studio forgetting certain changes made to the project all of a sudden (every two months or so this happened). This would result in the build failing of course and then require the annoying re-adding of the 'forgotten' stuff (changed options, CPP defines and new dependencies).

This new Windows-specific makefile is based on and /very/ similar to the Linux/Unix one and is also used with *GNU make* (as part of Cygwin -- we btw. do /not/ use automake on this project). It invokes the MS C++ command-line compiler & linker. As newer VS versions don't allow to export the project as a makefile anymore, the required compiler and linker options are best found by looking into two files that VS writes out when building (don't remember what their names & extensions were, but they stood out among the .obj files clearly). It took me less than half a day to get everything working absolutely smoothly with that approach.

On a side note, the MS C++ compiler & linker are available for free from MS, as part of the Microsoft Visual Toolkit 2003 package. As VS is no longer needed now, we thereby removed any dependency the project had on commercial tools on Windows too. Suffice to say I never had any trouble building Liquid on Windows since then. :)

Cheers,

Moritz