Re: [Openexr-devel] Reading and writing to the same file

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Reading and writing to the same file
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:51:19 -0800

P.S.: Closing a partially written file and later re-opening it
in order to continue writing is not currently supported by the
IlmImf library.

Florian Kainz wrote:
In order to make tiles appear in the on-disk file as soon as possible,
you want to keep the IlmImf library from buffering the tiles.

When you write a tiled file, the "line order" attribute determines
how tiles are buffered by the library before they are written to
the file (see http://www.openexr.com/TechnicalIntroduction.pdf,
pages 9 and 10).

With INCREASING_Y or DECREASING_Y line order the tiles are stored
in the file in the order specified in the TechnicalIntroduction.pdf
document.  If the application sends the tiles to the library in
the correct order, no buffering takes place, and each tile is
written to the file as soon as the library receives it.  If the
application sends the tiles in a different order, then the library
buffers the tiles until it can write them in the correct order.

With RANDOM_Y, the tiles are stored in the file in the order the
library receives them from the application.  Tiles are not buffered
and each tile is immediately written to the file.  (Buffering may
still occur at lower-level layers of the file I/O system, for
example in C++ iostreams.)

Florian

David Larsson wrote:
Hi,
I'm using the tiled interface to write OpenEXR files.
I wonder if it's possible to show the currently written tiles before the entire file is done? Another thing that could help me out is to be able to close the file before all tiles are written, open it for reading and then reopen it for writing the rest of the tiles.

Cheers
/David Larsson