Re: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:29:19 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Florian Kainz wrote:

OpenEXR uses strings in three places:

- File names
- Attribute names, for example, "displayWindow" or "pixelAspectRatio".
- Attribute values, for example the channel names in the channels attribute.

String processing operations performed by the IlmImf library include:

- copying
- comparing and sorting, in order to find attributes or channels by name
- concatenation, usually to generate error messages such as
 "Cannot open file foo.exr (Permission denied)."

As far as I know, all of those operations work the same way for regular char strings and for UTF-8-encoded Unicode. (Character counting or sub-string extraction would have to know about UTF-8, but we don't do that in IlmImf.)

This is all good, but there is one sticky issue. If UTF-8 is now stored in OpenEXR files, then OpenEXR may return a UTF-8 string to an application which is not designed for UTF-8 (e.g. traditional "Unix" application) and the application may misbehave. Is this a possible scenario? If this is a possible scenario, then perhaps new interfaces should be added to support UTF-8, and the legacy interfaces should behave as closely as possible to before (by transforming to the native character set if possible).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn