[Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 1.3.0 released

From: Drew Hess
Subject: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 1.3.0 released
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 03:32:46 -0700

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce the release of OpenEXR 1.3.0.

OpenEXR 1.3.0 is a *test release*.  The major change in this release
is support for multithreaded file I/O.  We've been testing the
threaded code internally at ILM for a few months, and we have not
encountered any bugs, but we'd like to get some feedback from others
before we release the "production" version.

I encourage you to try out the new multithreading support, but be
cautious before you use it in a production environment.  There are no
file format changes in this release, so the files produced by this
version should be compatible with the 1.2 series, but it's possible
that a bug in the threading code could produce invalid files.  (We
have not experienced this at ILM, however.)

We don't anticipate any API changes before the production release,
either, but if we discover any problems, we may be forced to change
it.

With that out of the way, here's a summary of the changes in this
release:

Version 1.3.0:
    - The 1.3.x series is a developer-only release for testing
      OpenEXR's new multithreaded I/O support.
    - Multithread support for reading and writing an OpenEXR
      file.
    - Support for Intel-based OS X systems.
    - Support for Visual Studio 2005.
    - When compiling against OpenEXR headers, there's no longer any
      need to define any PLATFORM_* or HAVE_* macros; OpenEXR now
      supplies an OpenEXRConfig.h header file which is included by
      the OpenEXR headers that need these special macros.  However,
      on Windows platforms, when using OpenEXR DLLs, you must still
      define the OPENEXR_DLL preprocessor directive in your project.
    - New documentation for multithread support, plus some
      updates and additions.
    - Bug fixes releated to better handling of incomplete/damaged
      files.
    - Numerous bug fixes and cleanups to the autoconf-based
      build system.
    - Removed support for the following configurations that were
      previously supported.  Some of these configurations may happen
      to continue to function, but we can't help you if they don't,
      largely because we don't have any way to test OpenEXR on these
      configurations.
           - IRIX
           - OSF1
           - SunOS
           - OS X versions prior to 10.3.
           - gcc on any platform prior to version 3.3

See the ChangeLog in the distribution for more details.

You can get the source tarball here:

    http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/openexr/openexr-1.3.0.tar.gz

We've also provided pre-compiled Win32 binaries, libs and DLLs here
(compiled with Visual Studio .NET 2003):

    http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/openexr/openexr-1.3.0-win32.zip

We'll try to provide OS X binaries in the next few days.

enjoy!