Re: [Openexr-devel] usage of integer formats?

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] usage of integer formats?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:00:20 +0000

Hi J.C,

From the OpenEXR technical introduction pdf:

UINT 32-bit unsigned integers; for discrete per-pixel data such as object identifiers

The most common use of the UINT data type is for storing an identifier which uniquely identifies the objects in an image. This is particularly useful when rendering crowds of CG characters as you often need to be able to point at a character in a beauty image and be able to determine which CG object it refers to.

--Ken

J.C. Roberts wrote:
Though I realize there are probably many people using OpenEXR in
various proprietary and/or trade secreted ways, I'm very curious about
the integer format.

Can anyone tell me generalized areas where the integer format is the
most effective solution?  and why?

I can grasp the basics of the low-level hardware details, and the
speed-up one could achieve, but without knowing where the integer
format is actually used, it's tough to understand why.

If you'll forgive the corporate lingo on a technical list, what was the
"business reason" for the integer format?