[Openexr-devel] Relying on exceptions in fuzz tests?

From: Christopher Horvath
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Relying on exceptions in fuzz tests?
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 15:01:50 -0700

Hey Folks,

It seems like some of the fuzz tests are explicitly attempting to fail by creating large allocations and catching exceptions from failed memory allocations.  If you're working with a malloc library that has exceptions turned off, this causes crashes...

Is this the correct interpretation of how fuzzScanLines & fuzzFile is intended to work?

This seems to be testing that malloc throws correctly - which in my case, it does not - I just want to make sure I can feel comfortable turning these fuzz tests off for the future.

Chris

--
I think this situation absolutely requires that a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. And we're just the guys to do it.