[Openexr-devel] Memory leaks reading unfinished .exr files

From: Schoenberger
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Memory leaks reading unfinished .exr files
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:42:33 +0200

Hi

I have an issue with memory leaks if I try to read files that have not been finished writing.
It does not matter if I use the default file reader:
    exrFile = new Imf::InputFile(fileIn,
1);
Or if I create a custom Imf::IStream that throws an exception in read():
    exrFile= new Imf::RgbaInputFile(inStream);

I get a memory leak of about 200-800KB per file just by calling the above command, which summs
Some cleanup functions in the OpenExr lib are called, but it seems they miss a lot.

To reproduce the issue, cut a .exr file with a hex editor and try to load it.
Example file:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/ftp_file/RRMaya2016_spheres_fastrender2.exr
Leak information:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/ftp_file/memleak_customStream.txt
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/ftp_file/memleak_default.txt

Has anybody an idea how to solve this issue?
Note: Of course exrFile->isComplete() does not work as exrFile is NULL after the call to create exrFile.

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night