openexr-user

[Openexr-user] OT: Production movie format

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: [Openexr-user] OT: Production movie format
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:44:12 -0700

While we are all comfortable with image sequences, there are times when movie
formats are useful, like when when you want to bundle video with audio.  Also,
video editors like Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere support image sequences as
an after-thought, but they are much more comfortable with movies.

What I feel is needed is a movie format that has the same attributes as
OpenEXR.  Support for lossless compression at higher bit depths including
floating point.  Flexible metadata support.  Use only patent-free codecs.
Provide an easy-to-use, platform-independant C++ library.

Some colleagues have encouraged me to work on this.  Since I don't have a
company like ILM to pay me to do it, they suggested I do a Kickstarter or
Indiegogo.  I've collected my thoughts into this proposal if you'd like to read
it:

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/POM_Proposal.pdf

I am a big admirer of the OpenEXR project and the people on this list, so any
feedback is greatly appreciated.

Brendan