openvds-clients

Re: [Openvds-clients] RE: [Openvds-devel] Control Panels

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-clients] RE: [Openvds-devel] Control Panels
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:18:38 -0600

Paul Marshall wrote:

> By the way, regarding the Webmin, I am not opposed to using the
> existing ACL system as long as we can modify the security settings
> so that you get the same results when you use Apache instead of the
>  native web server.

I'm curious why you would want to do that (run Webmin under Apache)? There are a lot of good reasons not to, but I don't know of any good reasons for doing so...

The good reasons for using the Webmin miniserv.pl webserver instead of Apache, since I'm sure someone is asking:

Small and easily audited for security. Has proven quite secure and robust in its ~three years of heavy use all over the world. Webmin overall has a quite good security record, and miniserv.pl has been flawless in the two+ years that I've been using it. That's not to say that Apache isn't secure, because it is, but the environment is so much larger and easier to misconfigure--I don't like the idea of a misconfiguration so easily leading to an exploit. Apache would have to run as root and outside of a chroot jail. I prefer a tiny perl webserver that I can study thoroughly in a couple of hours to Apache which would take years to fully understand and audit.

It's fast enough. Using Apache will not speed up Webmin in any useful fashion. With an appropriately designed module hierarchy (client->reseller->server owner->cluster administrator) there's no way to overload the miniserv webserver. Administration is not a high load environment.

Provides additional ACLs that Apache can't without quite a lot of additional tweaking and configuration. miniserv.pl can provide IP level access controls in addition to other cool stuff, like SSL certificate authentication. Sure, you can do these things with Apache, but why not point and click your way there in about 20 seconds?

Also, I'm not sure if the RPC features of Webmin work with any other webserver (they might--I've never tested). If they rely on miniserv, then we'd be fighting an uphill battle to make Apache do the same things. RPC will be our mantra by the time the project gets itself into some large hosting environments--and Webmin will do the heavy lifting for us. Hmmm...Checking...Ok, looks like the RPC stuff is all in the web-lib, not in miniserv. So, scratch this reason. But wow, RPC in Webmin is supercool. It's fun to talk about so I'll leave this part of my comments even though it isn't relevant.

So to answer your demand "as long as we can modify the security settings so that you get the same results", sure you can! But why would Webmin do all of the Apache configuration for you when it already has an excellent and configurable webserver designed specifically for this purpose? For what it's worth, you /can/ use the Apache Webmin module to configure these details with a GUI. ;-) At least IP level ACLs can be configured. I'm not sure how SSL certificate logins are handled (I don't mean https connections...I'm talking automatic logins using no password, just a certificate).

Anyway, I /strongly/ urge not switching from miniserv to Apache. It just doesn't make sense to add more complexity to a beautifully simple setup (for anyone who has ever installed Webmin, you know that given the complexity of the tasks it tries to address it is amazingly simple). Ok, so I'm a long time Webmin bigot...I love everything about it, and I don't want to change a thing. ;-)

Oh, yeah, for those who are unfamiliar with Webmin's ACL system...The /only/ part of it that relies on miniserv.pl is the IP level access controls and maybe the SSL certificate logins. All of the user level controls are handled by the web-lib and the specific modules, whether you're using miniserve.pl or apache as the host webserver.
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
http://www.swelltech.com