openvds-clients

[Openvds-clients] Webmin Control Panels

From: Clint Nelissen
Subject: [Openvds-clients] Webmin Control Panels
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:17:52 -0800

I think that we are all in agreement that we need to start working with
Webmin as a base for our client administration scripts... I have some
ideas that maybe we could all have some input on.

The scripts as a whole would be comprised of 3 separate scripts
(programs whatever).

1 - An end-user version of webmin - This would be a dumbed down version
of webmin.. taking out all of the root and non-vds specific stuff from
webmin, such as the hard-disk modules and the network configuration
modules. This would also run as the admin-pseudo user rather than root.
This way it executes commands in the same exact manner as the admin user
would through telnet, and no added security risks. Also whether this
runs as an apache version or the webmin.pl version is of no security
consequence. If it is to be a stand-alone, it should run on a different
port than the standard webmin install.. so that for the network
recognition features of webmin... it will not find every single VDS
running the control panel. We don't want our customers to be able to see
how many customers we have and where they are on the network. Even if we
axe this all together from the client version, that would be best. But
at the server admin version.. it would not find every VDS version.

2 - The server version. This would be a standard webmin install.. all
features intact. From here the network recognition could take place as
normal.. allowing a network admin to locate and administer every VDS
server (physical server) on the network.

3 - A webmin VDS module. The network recognition here would only find
the VDS version control panels for the server they are logged in on.
(basically the same method only searching for webmin on the other port).
>From there the admin could administer all of the VDS's under that
server, such as add/remove/edit VDS's/users/software.

Any thoughts on that?

Clint Nelissen - Technician
Digital Internet Services Corporation
Phone - 760-776-0800 x 300