[Openvds-devel] VDS Apache Features - Request for Comment

From: rick oneil
Subject: [Openvds-devel] VDS Apache Features - Request for Comment
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 04:34:18 -0800

OK,  up late tonite and got development issues...

In the NEW openVDS, there are several issues that customers will expect.

Most customers are *used* to certian ways that apache works.  When they get
this *new* technology, most will probably want the following:

1.)     ip based domains
2.)     name based domains.

Also, the best thing about a VDS is the ability for the customer to handle
thier dns administration.  I want hands off of that. I've been doing dns
entries for about 7 years now and sick of it.

SO, correct me if I'm wrong, but right now an openVDS (or freevsd 1.4.x)
virtual dedicated server instance looks to me like it only can have one IP
address ??

Is this the case?  In the latest skel for redhat 6.2 from the ftp.freevsd.org
site, there is no /etc/sysconfig/  folder.

Is anyone putting multiple ip's on the VDS? If so, how?

hmmm.... we need ip aliases in the VDS.
we also need further to have ip based domains.
also, we need dns servers running on the VDS as well.

This all equals a full reseller package. An actual open Virtual Dedicated
Server.  This should be the difference between openVDS and freeVSD.

I'm also probably not the only one who has read all the posts about ip
chains, ip tables, apache ports 8080, 8443, redirection and the like.....

this needs to be tightened up.  Can someone summarize exactly how one can
accomplish the following. (which I consider to be a simple typical normal
setup).

------------------------------------

physical server runs apache on http://10.1.1.1:80 and https://10.1.1.1:443
    vds001 runs apache on http://10.1.1.50:80
    vds002 runs apache on http://10.1.1.175:80  and https://10.1.1.175:443
    vds003 runs apache on http://10.1.1.200:80  and http://10.1.1.201:80
          and http://10.1.1.202:80

-------------------------------------

Lets assume that we all are running name based domains on the VDSes as well
in the above example.  I'm more concerned about the interaction of the
vsdredirect, ipchains, iptables and ip alias support.

Oh, yea, I don't know how many of you folks out there actually need to know
where your web traffic comes from, but it certianly doesn't come from the
physical server!  The procedure for accurate log file reporting, port 80 and
setup of the appropriate ipchains/iptables config should be clear and defined
here in the forum.

Cheers to the betterment of openVDS,
--
rick o'neil             address@hidden
hollywood, CA USA       213-674-3900 x203