RE: [Openvds-devel] Some todo things

From: Dave Cost
Subject: RE: [Openvds-devel] Some todo things
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:56:40 -0800

> With the SSL and webadmin - The idea number 2 to call the daemon directly
> svsdadm - Would that mean that the admin scripts would have to run on the
> host server or could they be run on a different machine? I have
> not used the
> newer versions (yet) with the secure daemon, so I do not have
> much knowledge
> with it.

The secure daemon (and the plain text one too) are just daemons listeing on
a normal tcp socket. When a connection comes in the client (svsdadm or
vsdadm) request some actions and the server executes them.

In the case of svsdadm the communication is encrypted with SSL and instead
of passwords, certificates are used to grant access to specific parts of the
system (i.e. the whole hosting server, a specific virtual server etc).

The whole communication is done trough standard tcp/ip sockets and the
client and server can be on different machines.

So, the short answer is yes, you can have a central control server which
communicates to the other servers via the svsdadm utility. The name of the
destination server is the <hs> parameter that all svsdadm commands take. I
suggest to all of you to use a FQDN for the hosting server instead of the
canonical name used in the examples. This makes life easier in a real world
environment (you need to issue the certs for the FQDN too).

Are you trying to implement a centralized "cp" based on the webadmin scripts
?

Dave.