RE: [Openvds-devel] OpenVDS

From: Dave Cost
Subject: RE: [Openvds-devel] OpenVDS
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:35:22 -0800

Eje wrote:

> Ok where is this project really ?
>
> Seems no homepage or anything besides a few files available for
> download ?
>
> The registered domains gives nothing of any value.

All I can say is that it took idaya three years to make FreeVSD.

There's no point of developing OpenVDS alongside of FreeVSD. The technology
used there is too old and too heavy to maintain. You need to patch
everything and still the result is not satisfactory.

OpenVDS is taking a new approach which will be both easier to implement and
closer to the real thing. However, everything has to be written from
scratch. From installation programs to management.

The website will be of no use until there's something to put on it.

Currently, I'm working on repackaging the RH7.2 distro (with all available
updates to date) into a small bootable CD rom which will install OpenVDS on
a new system. The minimum openvds installation will give you the host
configuration tools (network, disks, etc) and an openssh server so you can
log in. There will be no services (apache etc) available for the hosting
server.

However, you'll be able to install whatever distribution you want on a
virtual server inside that hosting one. I've just started the redhat distro
installer which is very similar to a kickstart installation (in fact I think
I will use the files generated for kickstart)

Timeframe? I think a minimum of 4 weeks will be necessary to have something
to work with. In the mean time I'll post some ideas and some bits to
experiment with, but a complete distro will take little more.

If someone wants to contribute a website, I'll be glad to hand out the
accounts for openvds.org.

Dave.