RE: [Openvds-devel] Open Job at OpenVDS - vdsinstall

From: Dave Cost
Subject: RE: [Openvds-devel] Open Job at OpenVDS - vdsinstall
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:51:24 -0800

> Any reason not to leverage the Red Hat kickstart tools that are written
> in Python?  Seems like if it's good enough for the Hatters, it ought to
> be good enough for OpenVDS.  And this is, again, a case where speed or
> systems level programming isn't needed.

The anaconda source if a nighmate and there're several bugs there that
kickstart (read: kickstart fails for many configurations).

However, all we need to do is call rpm for each package with no need to set
up partitions and graphic displays for X, nor we should care of different
architectures (yet).

My feeling is that a simple proggie would be easirer to write instead of
understanding the anaconda code.

> (Besides, parsing the kickstart file would be /so/ much easier if the
> programmer doing the work could leverage the existing Python objects
> that do so, don't you reckon?)

If you look at the kickstart, if's merely a list of packages to be installed
in sequence (i.e. dependencies have bees sourted out). Further, the %post
section can be simply fed to a bash shell for execution.

I don't mind a personlized anaconda, but think it will be easier the other
way.

Dave.