openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Some more mixer stuff

From: Callum Lerwick
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Some more mixer stuff
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:01:49 -0500

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 23:08, Manuel Jander wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been investigating a little more the mixer issue. I conlcuded
> that the Windows driver uses the AC97 codec mixer in a very different
> fashion. All AC97 pass through settings are muted, and the audio is
> captured by the ADC, and routed back to the codec throught he DAC's.
> This way, any analog input can be passed throught the Hardware EQ too.
> Well, this semes a good idea to me, since it will solve the Quad output
> routing issue once for all and ever.
> I'll try to implement this when i get a time, but sure if someone else
> could do this, would be great.

Interesting, but why then in the win98 drivers does it make you select
only ONE analog channel to get EQ?

Also, is this re-routing done in analog or digitally? Us pro-audio
minded people want a minimum of audio re-processing and unnecessary
mixing with analog signals...

Also, few weeks back I successfully got XINE to play my TRON DVD with
four speaker surround, didn't have time to mention it until now. Problem
I noticed was the "Sigmatel Surround" (Don't have the driver installed
right now, can't check the name) toggle seems to get reset to 'on'
everytime the device is opened, but it shows as being still off in the
mixer. For example it resets every time XMMS starts a new song, so
you're forced to use the AC97 codec quad in that case. You have to
toggle it on then back off to get it to turn off again. If you play a
DVD you have to start it playing then turn the Surround option off
everytime you start a DVD.

Other than that little quirk, (fixed already?) nice work guys. We have
quad.

Just upgraded to kernel 2.6.0-test4, need to grab the latest CVS and try
it. Anything I should know to make it work on 2.6?