openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low bitrate samples.

From: Wilfried Weissmann
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low bitrate samples.
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:42:48 +0100

Manuel Jander wrote:
Hi,

Regarding some combinations of period and buffer size, i made some more
finding. I found the condition under which the Aureal Vortex seems to
get trouble on DMA transfers. I wouldn't blame the chip though.

It happens when a period crosses the 4096 byte boundary. If the period
ending boundary is exactly at 4096 bytes anything works fine.
That is, period size (in bytes) of 4096, 2048, 1024, 512, 256, 128 etc
bytes will never have problems. Other period size have problems when the
total buffer exceeds 4096 bytes and the 4096 barrier is inside of a
period.

With problems, i mean clicks and echoes (short and long PCM playback
chunks being repeated).

hmm, this sounds exactly like the problem that i had with speakfreely and mu-law encoding. i hope i will have some more time for debugging soon. i have been pretty busy lately.

bye,
wilfried

I still don't know if this is a hardware limitation of the Aureal
vortex, of the i386 architecture or whatever, but at least i found a
consistent pattern.

Best Regards

Manuel Jander