pan-announce

[Pan-announce] ANN: 0.12.94 "Are we there yet?"

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-announce] ANN: 0.12.94 "Are we there yet?"
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:37:09 -0700

Attached is the announcement for 0.12.94.
As usual I'll wait about 24 hours for RPMs to roll in before
I announce to Freshmeat, Gnome, etc.

This is your last chance to impress your friends and confuse your enemies
by getting your name in the Help|About|Credits window for 0.13.0 [1]
so please torture this release and report any bugs you find.

cheers,
Charles

[1] 0.13.0 is as-yet untitled, but its working title is
    "This Weekly Bugfix Release Cycle Is Insane For a Fifth Toe App!
    Red Hat and Mandrake Had Better Damn Well Bundle This!" :)

Pan 0.12.94, `Are we There Yet?',
has been released.  It can be found at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.

What is Pan?

        Pan is a newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity, which
        attempts to be pleasant to use for new and advanced users alike.
        It has all the typical features found in newsreaders and also
        supports yEnc, offline newsreading, article filtering, multiple
        connections, and a number of extra features for power users and
        alt.binaries fans.

        It's also the only Unix newsreader to get a perfect score on the
        Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval evaluations.  See
        http://pan.rebelbase.com/features/ for the rest of the
        sales pitch.

About 0.12.94

       This, the fifth 0.13.0 beta, fixes a couple of bugs with reading
       non-English articles.

       0.13.0 will be released this week, in time for bundling with the
       new Red Hat and Mandrake releases, so this is a dry run to make
       sure we haven't screwed anything up at the last minute. We strongly
       encourage testers to torture this final beta and report any bugs.

        A revision number of 90 or higher is used to flag this release
        as a beta without confusing RPM with the name `0.13.0-pre5'.

What's New

    UPDATES

        * added `galeon --new-tab' to the dropdown list
          of browsers in the preferences dialog.
          Thanks to Martin Tomasek for suggesting this. (#89510)

    BUG FIXES (sorted by date)

        * Try harder to display articles whose newsreaders lied
          about the charset in the headers.  I'm not naming names,
          but the newsreader begins with a `K'. :)

        * Fix bug that wasn't converting text to UTF-8 before populating
          the header pane, causing some strings to be truncated or lost.
          Thanks to Christian Lohmaier for reporting this bug. (#90068)

        * A couple of strings needing translation weren't marked as such.
          Thanks to Pablo del Campo for reporting this bug. (#90115)

        * FIxed a couple of accelerator typos in the main menu and composer.
          Thanks to Duarte `HappyGuy' Loreto and Philippe Gramoull for
          reporting these bugs.

        * A handful of small translation fixes.
          Thanks to Benjamin Greiner for reporting them.
          (#90036, #90041, #90045)

        * Fixed a couple of minor memory leaks when reading/writing
          xml config files.