pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] posting charset

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] posting charset
Date: 09 May 2002 10:28:49 +0200

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 14:55, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:53:10PM +0200, Colin Leroy wrote:
> > Just a question :) Wouldn't it be nice to save, either as a definable
> > pref, either save the "last used choice", the charset that user want
> > for posting ?
>
> IIRC right now it comes from poking setlocale() and then calling
> get_closest_locale() in message-window.c., which I lifted from
> Balsa.  i18n users will already have their locale set, so the hope
> is that Pan will `just work' without the user having to explicitly
> set their charset.

I think that is a good heuristic for setting the default charset.
However, I think we should remember the last used choice. For example: I
prefer to use apps in English (no translations for me), so I leave the
locale at en_US, which gives me a default charset of iso8859-1. To post
in a non-english newsgroup, I'd set the charset to iso8859-15. [1]

However, by not remembering the charset, I'd have to do this every time.
So, I think Colin's idea has merit.  We already have a charset field in
the Group struct, so it should just be a matter of using it to set the
posting charset and vice versa ?

Regards,
Christophe

[1] OK, technically I could post most west-european languages in
iso8859-1, but you get the idea. :-)