pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] pan todo

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] pan todo
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:48:41 -0800

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 08:31:32PM -0800, haran shivanan wrote:

> Why not use the mbox format? I saw some code for it
> in util-?.c but it doesn't seem to be used anywhere.
> Maybe I'm opening a can of worms here, but isn't mbox
> better than storing messages in individual files?
> Just wondering.

No, because then moving an article from one folder to another
(as happens from pan.sendlater to pan.sent every time you post)
Pan has to load, parse, and write both folders.

> How about a more permanent support for offline
> reading without using a cache that could get deleted

I'd like this -- an Agent-like `lock' feature has been requested a few times.
Off the top of my head, maybe we could use a $PAN_HOME/messages/lock directory,
like ../cache/ without the purging and size cap.

> and why not use .newsrc to determine subscribed groups?

We use our own file format because .newsrc just holds group name,
subscribed state, and the read article numbers.  Per-group, Pan also
holds a default charset, group description, filter state, sort state,
and a few other things.

> In any case, I'd like to help with the code. I've been
> ploughing through the 11.4 (Gtk 1.x) code for a couple
> of days now and have a rudimentarty understanding
> of it.

If you're wanting to code, go ahead and take the plunge to gtk2 and
upgrade to the latest CVS snapshot.  0.11.4 is almost 6 months old now... :)

cheers,
Charles