pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Another big Pan code commit

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-devel] Another big Pan code commit
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:05:28 -0600

I've committed a big set of changes to attack bug #132477, excessive memory usage in large newgroups.

The main change is that each multipart header from XOVER is now stored in an AttachmentPart struct, which holds the minimal unique info we need for each post (size, date, xref, message-id). The Article struct's "threads" field has been split into two: "followups" and "attachments", where "attachments" is a list of AttachmentParts. So no matter how many parts a multipart has, it's still just one Article.

As a side-effect the ~/.pan/servername/groupname datafiles are about 50% smaller, and threading and header pane updates in large groups are absurdly fast. *big grin*

K. Haley: how big of a monkey wrench does this throw into your database schema?

As an aside, our ANNOUNCE file is getting long: dropping the memory footprint, dropping pthreads, dropping GNet, and adding X-Face are all pretty nice. After the dust settles from today's commit, it's time for a new release -- assuming I can remember how... ;)

cheers,
Charles