pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Building PAN on Windows

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Building PAN on Windows
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:04:57 -0700

DPA posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:36:57 -0500:

> I added #include <shellapi.h> to util.c which seems to be the Header
> file for the ShellExecute Function but that resulted in a number of
> other errors so I commented out the #ifndef that called SW_SHOWNORMAL.
> According to Microsoft this is used to launch a window with the original
> size.  I guess that removing this broke the ability to launch a link
> from within Pan?

I normally prefer to stay as far away from MSWormOS as I can get, so
this isn't an informed opinion, but don't overlook the possibility that
this may also kill your ability to reply, if the reply window can't be
launched.

I /think/ however, that if nothing else is breaking as a result of
removing that, that it means those definitions/functions weren't called,
or were already defined elsewhere, so if you get it to compile without
them, you did the right thing.  The above is just in case you get a
successfully compiled PAN that runs, but it crashes every time you try to
open a new window, as for preferences, or for a reply, or whatever. =8^(
You'll know one possible reason why.

Anyway... despite my revulsion for proprietary-/slavery-ware, and MSWormOS
in particular, I /do/ have a grudging respect for those willing and able
to go thru all the trouble of getting PAN to compile and run on the
platform.  I'm not sure I'd be so motivated, and in fact somewhat sure I'd
/not/ be so motivated, so yes, I definitely have respect for those that
are, and for their skill if they can do it successfully, regardless of my
revulsion for the platform they are choosing to continue to run on, and my
opinion of the implications for freedom I believe the platform entails.