pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] g_message function calls

From: Guilhem Bonnefille
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] g_message function calls
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 13:53:38 +0100

On 11/6/06, Charles Kerr <address@hidden> wrote:
The socket creation code is a special case there -- it's the /only/
part of Pan that uses threads, and it's a very small task.  The
purpose here is to make a connection in a nonblocking way so that
Pan doesn't freeze while connecting.

Humh... As I remember, it is possible to make a socket connection
non-blocking without using threads. I have done such thing with select
(or poll). The algo: create the socket and connect it (O_NONBLOCK),
then register the file descriptor in select (poll) and then, when
something occurs, it is probably a connection success (or failure).
Look at http://www.developerweb.net/forum/showthread.php?p=13486

Perhaps it could be interesting to rewrite the "connection" part, so
pan will be fully thread safe (which is more simpler and safer than
multi-thread). I'm quite sure that such asynchronous connection could
be made with the GLIB "event loop".

What's your opinion? Do you already try such asynchronous connection?
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- #UIN: 15146515 JID: address@hidden MSN: address@hidden