pan-devel

[Pan-devel] khaley testing branch: x-face segfaults from a4824a92 (updat

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] khaley testing branch: x-face segfaults from a4824a92 (update to using cairo)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:56:37 +0000 (UTC)

Recent khaley testing branch (thru current 463d68a0, at least)
segfaults on most x-faces I've seen, at least (I believe I've
seen at least one that didn't, however.  I bisected to:

commit a4824a92dc42a471768079f29b922aae387b4ac8
Author: K. Haley <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Aug 18 15:49:51 2010 -0600

        Replace deprecated gdk_pixmap_create_from_data
        with cairo to render x-face.

The entire system recently recompiled with
gcc-4.5.1
glibc-2.12.1-r1 (-r1 indicates a gentoo revision)
gtk+-2.20.1-r1
cairo-1.10.0-r3
2.6.36-rc8-21-ga7011a3 (linus' git tree)

This is on amd64, dual older (3-digit) amd opteron 270s (dual-core),
radeon hd4650 graphics, native xorg ati freedomware driver.

xorg-server-1.9.0.902 (second rc of 1.9.1)
xf86-video-ati-6.13.2
mesa-7.9
libdrm-2.4.22

cairo-1.10.0-r3 was merged with these USE flags (generally, configure
options) ON:
X opengl qt4 svg

... but with these masked or OFF:
aqua (masked, this isn't Apple), debug, directfb, doc, drm (Gentoo masked
except on the live-git version, due to compile problems for the
maintainer), gallium (wouldn't be active without drm anyway), openvg
(masked, this isn't embedded), static-libs.

I suspect the issue may be a cairo issue, possibly related to immature
OpenGL support on this graphics hardware/driver combo, but I'm not sure.
It could also be a glibc issue, since 2.12.1 is fairly new (Gentoo's
package introduced on August 5, according to the changelog), and that's
where the log shows the segfault at:

segfault at 7ffffc000000 ip 00007fa49823a530 sp 00007fffffb3ad20 error 4
in libc-2.12.1.so[7fa4981bd000+17a000]

Many test cases can be found on news.gmane.org, in the gmane.discuss
newsgroup.  In particular, posts by "Adam =?utf-8?Q?Sj=C3=B8gren?="
(that's the raw name in the from header), including this one, trigger the
segfault: