pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] New icon for Pan?

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] New icon for Pan?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:05:37 +0200

Hi all!

Duncan , Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:16:16 +0000 (UTC):

(...)

> But that's getting the cart a bit before the horse.  PKovar is the keeper
> of the official repo, and aside from his own personal opinion, I suppose
> he'd be most interested in two things, what KHaley thinks, and how it
> might fit within the Gnome guidelines.  About the latter I've not the
> foggiest, tho PKovar may well have some clue.

What I'd like to say is that I like the picture, but at the same time I'd
prefer not to use any paid image sources for Pan. Not that I want to
discourage anybody from buying anything, however, at least we'd have to make
sure that the image in question is licensed under GPL or GPL-compatible
license. That's a hard requirement for us as Pan itself is free software.

There are no other "GNOME guidelines" out there apart from the licensing
requirements, we are free to do whatever we want with Pan, since Pan is not
an official part of the GNOME Desktop, it only uses GNOME infrastructure,
to a degree, that is.

Other than that, the contest sounds like a good idea!

Cheers,
Petr Kovar