pan-devel

[Pan-devel] ever-more icons fitting inside GTK windows (Re: My list of p

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-devel] ever-more icons fitting inside GTK windows (Re: My list of present problems with Pan.)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:27:54 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 03:53:23 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> SciFi posted on Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:13:48 +0000 as excerpted:
> […]
>> 4.  I would love to see some visual indicators for some text-formatting
>> settings being used.  I need to see whether word-wrap is in effect, for
>> the main issue here -- there are posts that don't much give a clue,
>> because they would look "ugly" either way.  ;)  Things like that.  I
>> would pick the area on the main Pan window to put these
>> indicators/selectors, after the various "Match" icons and a
>> separator-line thingy.
>
> There's a *BIG* caveat here.  Pan already has a history of minimum width
> window issues, when used on netbooks, etc.  For similar display-size
> reasons, a dual-row toolbar (does gtk even do that?) isn't particularly
> viable, tho if necessary (and the toolbars are flexible enough to allow
> it), a full-app scrollbar (including the toolbars) can be added, making
> the vertical thing a bit less of an issue than the horizontal thing.
>
> So if additional toolbar buttons are added, they *MUST* be either
> configurable to hide if necessary, or must do so automatically, thus not
> increasing the minimum window size.  And if they do, then some
> consideration should be taken as to button priority, so it's the least
> important buttons that get hidden, not the most important.
>
> Of course the entire problem would disappear if only pan's toolbars were
> as configurable as the typical kde application's toolbars (tho there are
> exceptions; it's incredibly frustrating to see low-use button choices
> like help and about, when seriously useful action button choices simply
> don't appear at all!).  Hint, hint. =:^)

With judgefudge repo, I am seeing several "extensions" to the various
icon bars.  I believe these are built-into GTK itself, if something
does not fit inside the current window.  It's shown as a downward-facing
arrow at the right-hand edge of the area -- click it, and more functions
are presented.  Widen the window, and automatically those functions are
drawn in the area at the intended place(s).  My "Post Article" window is
functioning like this: the new button for "Adding Files to Queue" is not
seen until I click the downward-facing arrow at the edge there, but if I
were to widen this window, *poof* there's the big blue '+' icon for it.  :)

I'm only asking for the tiny icons to be extended on the main Pan window,
not these huge icons as I see on the "Post Article" window.  ;)

(FWIW - On native OSX, most times the app lets us control the size of such
 icons etc. [normal, small, with/out text], but alas this is GTK…)
[Maybe I might try a GTK/OSX build some day…
 <http://www.gtk.org/download/macos.php>]
{on 2nd thought, no, instead I wanna spend the time ditching this fruit…}